Ask ten people to suggest the most important beauty treatment to keep your skin glowing and healthy, and you will probably get ten different answers. But there is one thing that stands head and shoulders above the rest, and it is the most natural thing of all – water.
Your body is almost two thirds water, so it stands to reason that if you don’t get enough of it, dry skin, some wrinkles and a poor complexion are likely to result. But those could be just the start of your problems. Here, we look at how and why water needs to be the first item on your beauty regime.
GETTING ENOUGH WATER
So just how much water should you be consuming? You’ve probably heard of the 8×8 rule, which states we should have eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. That equates to about two liters if you prefer to work in metric, and is a reasonable starting point, but the amount you need depends of a huge range of factors, including your age, weight, height, level of activity, the ambient climatic conditions and so on.
One important point to keep in mind is that water means water. Some people think they can cheat the system by substituting some other drink, adopting the logic that any liquid will do. The trouble is that some drinks, such as carbonated soft drinks, coffee or alcohol can actually act as diuretics and reduce our hydration level instead of increasing it. There’s no cheating allowed, water means water, and you need the right water at that.
USE FRESHLY FILTERED WATER
Once you are past the “how much” question, you arrive at another prickly problem. All water is not the same. If you don’t already have one, a water filter system needs to be at the top of your shopping list. You’ll want to choose a high quality system like Bigberkeywaterfilters and you can be confident that you are not just protected against bacteria and contaminants, but also against the chlorine and fluoride that are intentionally added to municipal systems, and can have a serious impact on your skin.
This is why you shouldn’t just be drinking filtered water, you should also be using it as part of your beauty regime. Suppliers like Berkey also have shower head filters, and their importance cannot be overstated. According to research, if you take a quick shower in regular tap water, your body will absorb more chlorine than if you drink half a gallon of it. This is because when we take a hot shower, our pores open up, and our skin soaks up whatever is put on it, like a sponge.
BEAUTY BENEFITS OF WATER
We understand that drinking water is important to stay healthy, but is there really such a direct link between the water we put into and onto our bodies and beauty? There certainly is. Get your hydration routine right, and you can look forward to the following benefits:
1. Fewer wrinkles: When you drink more water, your skin retains more of its natural elasticity. This in turn reduces the visibility of any existing wrinkles, and best of all, it stops new ones from appearing.
2. Better skin condition: The water you drink and the water you use to cleanse yourself act from the inside out and the outside in respectively. They keep the skin hydrated, preventing it from becoming dry and chipped, and helping it remain radiant, youthful and supple.
3. Reduced sagging: Been on a health kick and shed a few pounds recently? Well done, but before you congratulate yourself too much, be careful, as losing weight quickly can lead to sagging skin. If you drink plenty of water, you’ll find the skin tightens up again far more quickly, and the sagging will have completely disappeared after a month or so. It’s all about maintaining that elasticity.
4. Maintain your natural balance: There are lots of chemical processes going on in your body all day long. Drink water to maintain your skin’s pH balance, and keep it healthy. Again, this assumes you are using filtered water, as chlorination can, in itself, have complex effects on the pH of water, depending on where you live.
5. Detox: It’s not just your skin that will thank you for staying hydrated. Water is needed to flush toxins out of your system. Filtered water has already had toxins removed, so your body can put it straight to work. That doesn’t just mean better liver and kidney function, and a more radiant you – although those are of course important. There is also the fact that toxins on the inside lead to acne and spots on the outside. You know what to do to keep them away, so why not pour yourself a glass of fresh filtered water right now?